Tuesday, September 10, 2013

English 10 - First Poem

Hi, how are you?
Yes, I am a soccer player.
I've played for 10 years.
Yes, it involves a lot of running. We scrimmage a lot during practices, and we're constantly running during games.
I have asthma, so sometimes it gets really difficult to run. It feels like I have a ton of bricks on my chest, my throat feels like it's closing and my lungs start to burn.
I play defense.
Yes, there's a huge amount of pressure on defensive players.
We're required to support the goalie and help keep the ball away from the net as best we can.
Yes, I've been injured.
Pulled muscles, rolled ankles, knee problems, and loads of bruises.
No, I would never quit.
It's not "just a sport", it's my life.



Why I wrote this poem:
I wrote this poem because many people think that soccer is a fairly easy sport. Well, it's not. It takes loads of dedication, commitment, practice, hard work, sweat & injuries you don't plan on getting. Many people spend more time with a soccer ball than they do with friends, family, or even on school work. It's something that floods through the veins of soccer players that makes the sport so great. The skills & technique isn't just handed to you, it's worked for & earned. So if you believed soccer was easy before, try it & think again.

No comments:

Post a Comment