Friday, December 20, 2013

I am from

I am from picture frames,
From Pine-sol and air freshener, 
I am from the small house on the left,
Where everyone is welcome. 
I am from the soil,
The oak tree,
Whose long gone limbs I remember 
As if they were my own. 

I'm from homemade banana bread and blue eyes,
From Dawn and Jeffrey.
I'm from smart-alecks, quick thinkers,
And hard workers. 


I'm from "No" and "You can be anything you want to be."
And "This Little Light of Mine".
I'm from Robbinsdale and the Czech Republic,
Southwestern sloppy joes and pickle roll ups,
From counterfeiters,
Who were caught and jailed for five years. 
From military flags sitting on bookshelves, 
And my great-great-great grandmothers clock, stored away on the basement brick work. 

1 comment:

  1. Really strong descriptions and imagery throughout that reveal a lot about who you are and where you are from. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete