Sunday, December 8, 2013

Poem

Background: Growing up, my mom endured a lot of abuse from her father. Anything you can think of, she probably went through it. When she was 22, she married my dad. He was very controlling, angry, abusive and neglecting at times. You could say she got out of a bad situation and into another..


Before:
I used to be
So broken,
So fearful,
So isolated

I felt as though I was sinking,
So much deeper,
So much lower,
So much further down

Everything I did as a wife
Was wrong to him,
Was never good enough,
Was never enough,
He wanted more

When he would lie,
It was as transparent as glass.
The sadness his lies and abuse brought me,
Ran deeper than an ocean

I left broken


After:
I am strong now,
I stand on my own,
I got myself together
And created a life for my family

I have three amazing kids,
Who shine as bright as the sun
My love for them
Is as strong as Hercules

I have a house
That I pay for on my own
I have a job
That allows me to put food on the table

Years ago,
I thought I needed him
To live,
To feel loved,
But I don't

Because I am strong now

No comments:

Post a Comment