Monday, December 9, 2013

Poem

Background: Growing up, my mom experienced a lot of abuse from her father. Physical, mental and emotional. He was very controlling and angry and would walk out all the time. When my mom was 22, she married my father. Let's just say he was not any better of a man than my grandfather was. They had three kids together, but that only made their marriage more strained and eventually, it fell apart.

Before:

The Endless Game
I used to be,
So broken,
So fearful,
So isolated.

I felt as though I was sinking,
So much deeper,
So much lower, 
So much faster each day.

Everything I did as a wife,
Was wrong to him,
Was never good enough, 
Was never enough,
He wanted more.

When he would lie,
It was as transparent as glass.
The sadness his unfaithfulness and abuse brought me,
Engulfed me, pulling me under,
Twisting, 
Turning,
Spinning me around.

I left broken

After: 

A New Beginning  
I am strong now,
I stand on my own,
I got myself together
And created a life for my family.

I have three amazing kids,
Who shine as bright as the sun.
My love for them
Is as strong as Hercules.

I have a house
That I pay for on my own.
I have a job
That allows me to put food on the table

Years ago, 
I thought I needed him,
To live,
To feel loved,
To be worth something
I realized that I don't

I am strong now 


Reflection; 
In my poem, I used personification (the sadness...), simile (is as strong as Hercules... as transparent as glass...), allusion (same as the simile for Hercules) and repetition. I thought I did an okay job on this, it's definitely something I could improve on because it has been years since I have written poetry, I used to do it every day. I feel like I needed a little more time and help on writing this, I feel like it isn't as strong as it should be and I'm disappointed with myself. 

4 comments:

  1. Good overall, a push would be to take your time on it and get it done with extra time to review it and read it over. A praise is that you did a nice job explaining her life and portraying what she thought.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i think you did a good job on explaining the before and after part by using good language

    ReplyDelete
  3. i think you did a good job on explaining the before and after part by using good language

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you did a great job with info, and showing emotion in the poem. Great job

    ReplyDelete